Senior Electrical Engineer
Location: Vaughan, ON
The Electrical Engineer will report to the Regional Engineering Manager and will be responsible for developing and stamping electrical engineering packages for construction projects in the utility, large commercial and industrial sectors. The Engineer will have strong experience with low & medium voltage power distribution and base building design (i.e., cable tray design, lighting, fire alarm, and emergency system design). Experience designing electrical systems for installation in hazardous area classifications (for example Zone 20/21, 22, etc.), ground mount solar and battery storage systems is strongly desired.
What will you be responsible for as an Electrical Engineer?
- Work as part of the project team in the execution of large commercial, industrial, utility-scale ground-mount solar, and battery storage design-build projects.
- Support in preparing cost estimates for potential opportunities and attending site visits as required.
- Able to manage all client interactions, including but not limited to, setting kickoff meetings, creating, or evaluating RFPs, creating, or responding to RFIs.
- Able to manage project changes with regards to cost or scope of work and issue change notices in timely manner.
- Perform engineering review and calculations (i.e., cable/equipment sizing - including transformers, switchgear, grounding transformers, NGRs, ground grid design - cable ampacity reports, peer-reviews) as part of the Engineering team.
- Prepare and stamp design drawings/packages (i.e., SLDs, site layouts, LV/HV details) as necessary.
- Support the team during procurement, construction, and commissioning activities.
- Ability to interpret client specifications.
- Coordinate/Communicate with other disciplines and the client.
- Quality Assurance – Responsible for working within the provisions and guidelines set for the engineering department.
- Identify conflicts, problems, develop appropriate solutions, and ask for assistance when required.
- Assist in work order management, scheduling and invoicing.
- Assist, support, and mentor intermediate and junior personnel within the Engineering team.
- Keep up to date with the latest developments and technical innovations in Electrical engineering.
- Other duties as assigned
Do you have the Spark? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum 5 years of direct Electrical design and engineering experience, industrial facilities preferred
- Professional Engineer designation is required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Renewable, Industrial and Commercial facilities.
- Working experience designing, developing, and leading different phases of Engineering Projects; from early stages up to Detailed Engineering.
- Working experience developing and leading Construction Work Packages.
- Working experience developing and leading Material Requisitions and Technical Bid Evaluations.
- Thorough understanding of Canadian Electrical Code and Ontario Electrical Safety Code.
- Working experience developing Electrical Area Classification studies, including thorough understanding of CEC / OESC
- Proficient in various electrical calculations (i.e. Voltage Drop, Cable Sizing/Ampacities, Basic Short Circuit Calcs, Grounding Design, Equipment Sizing Ratings, Equipment Specification)
- Proficient in various electrical software (i.e. CYMCAP, CYMGrd, ETAP or equivalent)
- Working experience with Drawing Mark-ups
- Working experience checking own work and others work
- Successful track record of Budget and Schedule Compliance
- Working knowledge of industry standards and codes related to Electrical system deliverables.
- Being able to work with multiple and concurrently small and medium projects.
- Working knowledge of Computer Aided Design software (AutoCAD, MicroStation, etc.).
- Competent use of relevant software such as MS Office Suite.
- Working experience in manufacturing facilities will be consider an asset.
Who is Spark Power?
- We provide end-to-end electrical contracting, operations and maintenance services, and energy sustainability solutions to the industrial, commercial, utility, and renewable asset markets.
- We have over 1300 employees across 38 offices across North America.
- We have numerous exciting projects in commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors across Canada and the US.
Here are some of the perks Spark Power employees enjoy:
- Diverse and exciting scope of work
- Continuous training and skills improvement
- Career advancement opportunities
- Educational reimbursement program
- Social Committee and Wellness Committee
- Mentorship programs
- Competitive wages
- Excellent benefit package with wellness spending account option
- Employee Share Ownership Program
- Wellness Committee and Social Committee
- Supportive and diverse company culture