Renewable Energy (Solar) Technician
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Spark Power is a leading independent power solutions provider to the electrical service industry across North America. We deliver technical solutions that help our customers transition to the grid of the future – Renewable Energy.
The Renewable Energy Technician will travel to job sites around the defined service area and help build and maintain solar, wind, battery storage and electric vehicle infrastructure. The technician must be competent and qualified to work on electrical and/or mechanical components of Renewable Energy assets.
We are excited to provide careers in Renewables and are committed to being the best employer possible. Our product is our people!
What you’ll be doing as a Renewables (Solar) Technician:
- Follow all Health and Safety policies to maintain a zero-incident workplace
- Complete routine safety documentation before every job including tailgate meetings, electrical work permits, etc.
- Technical troubleshooting and preventative maintenance activities to maximize performance/production
- Energization/de-energization procedures
- Follow and implement LOTO plans and procedures
- Interpret schematics and blueprints
- Quality assurance checklists and inspections to document deficiencies and identify corrective actions needed
- Follow OEM specific maintenance requirements in addition to company standards and industry best practices i.e. NETA MTS, CSA Z463, etc.
- Daily digital reporting and documentation of all work performed
- Work in a team-based environment and independently whereas necessary
- Participation in on-call weekend services on a rotating schedule
- Identify and provide feedback to issues and ongoing development of projects
- Willing to work overtime as needed
- Keep the sites looking clean and safe– buildings, vegetation, fences, gates, roads, etc.
- Ensure spare parts inventory is organized and clean
Do you have the Spark? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Minimum 2 years electrical experience is required
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Post-secondary education with an electrical or mechanical base is an asset
- ABET/EAC certification will be considered an asset
- 309A Journeyman license an asset
- Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Valid Driver’s License with suitable driving record
- Must be able to lift 34kg (75lb)
- Able to determine color codes
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic and a willingness to learn
- Computer and digital literacy (proficiency with mobile apps and various software: Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Report writing)
- Electrical and mechanical aptitude
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Ability to be a positive contributor to a team environment
- Customer-focused attitude with an ability to represent Spark positively and professionally on customer sites and within the community
- Valid Driver's License
- In physical condition to climb a wind turbine (300+ feet) and lift / move equipment (50+ pounds)
- Firm commitment to safety
- Passionate about renewable energy
- Ability to travel within the designated territory
- Ability to work overtime and/or on-call rotation at times
Here are some of the perks Spark Power employees enjoy:
- Competitive hourly wages
- Generous daily per diem
- 40-Hour weekly minimum while on jobs
- 1.5X overtime after 40 hours / week
- Fast-track growth opportunities
- A hands-on, positive Management Team that began as Technicians and have been promoted within their roles
- Excellent benefits (health, vision, dental)
- EAP program plus additional mental health benefits
- Profit sharing
- $200 annual personal tool allowance
- Company events, contests and community involvement opportunities. Positive and fun company culture!
- Corporate discount programs
- Company-paid training and certification, Spark U professional development programs
- Employee Share Ownership Program
- Company vehicles
- Monthly cell phone allowance
- All travel, training, workwear, and PPE paid for
- Solar Technician hours that count towards 309A apprenticeship **
Who is Spark Power?
- We provide end-to-end electrical contracting, operations and maintenance services, and energy sustainability solutions to the industrial, commercial, utility, and renewable asset markets.
- We have over 1300 employees across 38 offices across North America.
- We have numerous exciting projects in commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors across Canada and the US.