Senior Renewable Operations Center (ROC) Operator Role
This ROC Operator position is a senior level role on the Renewables Operation Center (ROC) team based out of the Spark Power office in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
The Spark Power ROC team remotely monitors and operates both Solar PV power generation and Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) across North America and assists in field operations and maintenance of more than 1200 generation facilities under contract for O&M services. Assets monitored by the ROC range from commercial rooftop or industrial plant installations, up to utility-scale systems connected directly to the distribution or transmission systems.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience with renewable energy systems, experience and adaptability with computers and SCADA systems, safety oriented, and strong awareness of cybersecurity principles and practices within corporate and critical infrastructure environments.
Due to the strict protocols of energy asset owners and regulatory bodies in North America, a criminal background check will be required before Spark Power will extend any offer of employment.
The ROC Operator will work in a team where schedules will be shifting to maintain a 24/7 operation, and therefore rotations of night shifts will be mandatory.
Here’s what you’ll do as a Senior ROC Operator:
- 24/7 monitoring of electrical energy production or storage assets
- Respond to all requests from BES balancing authorities or grid owner/operators
- Minimize generation equipment downtime, identify and triage plant under-performance, and identify and troubleshoot telemetry/SCADA interruptions at any asset under contract
- Coordinate with field technical staff to remotely monitor, troubleshoot, and control equipment during corrective or planned maintenance activities.
- Respond to grid owner/operator or balancing authority requests or in emergencies for operational actions within mandated response timelines
- Monitor and respond rapidly to issues affecting power production of assigned power producing assets
- Triage and/or escalate found production issues and initiate dispatch tickets in coordination with field dispatchers, asset managers, asset owners, and other ROC team members and supervisor
- Coordinate planned maintenance outages in coordination with the grid owner/operator or balancing authority, asset manager, field teams, asset owner, and any other stakeholders.
- Support technical field staff during asset maintenance or inspections. Includes equipment status checks, safe remote operations of equipment, and remote troubleshooting of equipment.
Do you have the Spark? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 3 - 5 years of experience or more as an Operator or in a similar position is required
- Experience with Solar, or Wind renewable energy or in Battery Storage is considered an asset.
- Understanding of NERC in the electrical power industry is preferred
- College or University education in Electrical Engineering, Renewable Energy or similar is an asset
- Experience in a control room operating power production system under strict protocols and workflows in a fast-paced environment is a asset
- Demonstrate proficient computer skills required with ability to learn and use MS Office suite programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), unique plant SCADA systems, and network/communication systems to identify plant interconnectivity issues.
- Passion for renewable energy with high attention to detail
- Keen awareness of cyber and physical security responsibilities in critical infrastructure environments
- Ability to communicate clearly in English (written and spoken)
- Capability of reading and understanding electrical connection diagrams in substations and solar and battery energy systems
- A keen focus on safety, and an understanding that the operations center is an extension of the field team, and therefore must operate in-line with safety protocols in the field
- High level of curiosity and technical aptitude
- Adaptable and readily accepting of change and constant technological evolution
- Team oriented, outgoing, and confident to present ideas, contribute to discussions, and ready to learn
Here are some of the perks Spark employees enjoy:
- Diverse and exciting projects and customer base (industrial, commercial, institutional, renewable energy)
- Growing company with consistent work
- Continuous training and skills improvement
- Career advancement opportunities including Engineering and Electrician Apprenticeship
- Competitive Wages
- Uniforms provided
- Tools provided
- Travel options
- Excellent Benefits Package
- 401k and Employee Share Ownership Program
Who is Spark Power?
- We provide end-to-end electrical contracting, operations and maintenance services, and energy sustainability solutions to the industrial, commercial, utility, and renewable asset markets.
- We have over 1300 employees across 38 offices across North America.
- We have numerous exciting projects in commercial, industrial, and institutional sectors across Canada and the US.